Aquaculture Divers work in the aquaculture industry.
What do Aquaculture Divers do at work?
- Work for a dive contractor or employed by industry.
- Diving makes up part of the role of a Salmon farmer
- Check & repair underwater structures.
- Check and repair underwater nets.
- Monitor Salmon farms.
- Make records.
- Biosecurity checks on vessels
- Carry out dive surveys of marine farms.
- Carryout underwater maintenance as required.
- Collect information.
Skills and Knowledge
- Diving techniques
- Diving experience
- Knowledge of diving equipment
- Knowledge of relevant health and safety regulations
- Knowledge of first aid and how to deal with emergencies
There are no specific secondary educational requirements to become a diver. However, physical education, maths, physics and workshop technology are useful.
To become a commercial diver, you need:
- A professional diving qualification from a certified provider
- You also need to be at least 18 years old
- Medical clearance from the Diving Hyperbaric Medicine Service
- First Aid Certificate renewed every three years.
- CPR qualification renewed every 12 months.
- Oxygen administration qualification, renewed every 12 months.
- Worksafe Certificate of Competence renewed every five years.
Is this the career for you? Find out more
Pay for divers varies, depending on your role