A salmon farmer looks after salmon until it is big enough to harvest
What to Salmon Farmers do?
- Work 7 days on and 7 days off
- Feed and monitor the fish
- Monitor fish health
- Undertake net care
- Look after the environment
- Maintain equipment and the farm
- Skipper vessels
- Work as part of a team
Skills and knowledge
- It is helpful to have an interest in marine science or aquaculture and to enjoy being out on the water.
- NCEA in English, Maths and Science/ Marine science
- Diving Qualifications
- Any on water experience such as diving/boating/fishing/an interest in marine science
There are many opportunities moving up the career ladder from fish farmer to management.
Find out more about salmon farming