Payroll officers arrange payment of staff salaries and wages.
What do payroll officers do at work?
- Calculate pay, tax, student loan and superannuation deductions for staff.
- Manage the payroll system for the organisation.
- Check what hours staff have worked, and what leave they have taken.
- Arrange for staff to be paid correctly and on time.
- Forward information to government agencies.
- Keep staff records up to date.
- Ensure the organisation complies with the law.
Skills and knowledge
- Employment law and the tax system
- Accounting, information and payment systems
There are no specific requirements, but the following are useful:
- NCEA L3 in English, Maths, Accounting, Digital technologies are useful.
- A degree in Business or Accounting
- L5 diploma in Business or Management
- On the job training is usually given
Is this the career for you? Further information
$45,000 - $130,000