Marine Engineers operate, service and repair engines, mechanical and electronic equipment on ships and boats.
What does a Marine Engineer do at work?
- Diagnose engine & machinery problems.
- Carry out maintenance & repairs.
- Perform specialized fabrication, maintenance, diagnostics and electrical-fitting tasks
- Check, test and maintain automatic controls and alarm systems.
- Oversee engines, mechanical and electronic equipment onboard ship.
- Keep ships moving at required speeds as directed by captain of bridge computers.
- Maintain services to electrical power, heating, ventilation, refrigeration, water and sewerage systems at sea.
- Supervise other engineers.
- Mechanical engineering.
- Pneumatic & hydraulic machinery
- How to fix electronic and electrical equipment
- NCEA Level 2 in Maths, Physics and Technology
Is this the career for you? Find out more
- . www.maritimenz.govt.nz
- NMIT (Nelson) - Diploma in Marine Engineering
New Engineers = $60-$80K per year
Experienced Engineers = $80-180K per year.