Skippers are responsible for running a fishing boat. Responsibilities range from navigating the vessel and organizing the crew to catching/ harvesting and processing.
What do Fishing Skippers do at work?
- Hire, direct & mentor crew
- Navigate fishing boats to and from grounds.
- Manage the deck and fishing duties.
- Keep records.
- Ensure safety of ship and crew.
- Ensure equipment is properly maintained.
NCEA Level 2 with at least 10 points in Numeracy
- Previous experience
- Sea time
- Maritime NZ relevant qualifications
Is this the career for you? Find out more
To become a skipper, many people start as a deckhand and work their way up.
Average earnings $72,000 - $110,000 per year