Spending time at sea, assisting in the operation of vessels, fishing and harvesting seafood.
What do deckhands do at work?
- Assist with berthing, casting off and anchoring vessels.
- Assist with operating, maintaining, and cleaning vessels and equipment.
- Seeding mussel lines.
- Environmental testing
- Farm maintenance.
- Process and pack.
- Carry out emergency drills and procedures.
Skills & Knowledge.
- Rope handling
- Use of knots and lashings.
- Mending nets & splicing wires/ropes
- Maintaining machinery & equipment
- Harvesting/fishing skills
- Fish/ seafood processing skills
- Safety at sea, first aid, firefighting, emergency procedures
Is this the career for you? Find out more
There are many opportunities for progression if you work hard and gain relevant qualifications. For qualifications see www.maritimenz.govt.nz
$60,000 - $80,000 per year
#Deckhand Marine Farming Association Incorporated