Spending time at sea, assisting in the operation of vessels, fishing and harvesting seafood.
What do deckhands do?
- Assist with berthing, casting off and anchoring vessels.
- Assist with operating, maintaining, and cleaning vessels and equipment.
- Seeding mussel lines.
- Environmental testing
- Farm maintenance.
- Process and pack.
- Carry out emergency drills and procedures.
Skills & Knowledge.
- Rope handling
- Use of knots and lashings.
- Mending nets & splicing wires/ropes
- Maintaining machinery & equipment
- Harvesting/fishing skills
- Fish/ seafood processing skills
- Safety at sea, first aid, firefighting, emergency procedures
Where to next?
There are many opportunities for progression if you work hard and gain relevant qualifications. For qualifications see www.maritimenz.govt.nz
$60,000 - $80,000 per year